Revolutionary, innovative and groundbreaking. These are just a few words that the aviation industry uses to describe Aireon, our technology and our people.
As an Aireon employee, you’re encouraged to be creative, analytical and dynamic. Our technology will not only change the face of the aviation industry but also transform how aircraft are seen. From concept to reality, Aireon is bringing the most advanced technology to stakeholders around the world.
If you are interested in joining the Aireon team, please click below to view our open positions and submit your resume.
Click column header to sort
Aireon is looking for a Human Resources Manager with a growth mindset to join our amazing team in Virginia! This is a great opportunity for someone who is looking to make their mark on a Human Resources department and is interested in growing with the company. The position will have the opportunity to dig into all aspects of Human Resources and take on challenging projects. The ideal candidate must be a self-starter, innovative, resourceful and actively seek opportunities to improve processes and procedures. In this position, you will be empowered to contribute to the success of Aireon by supporting essential functions including employment, on-boarding, staffing, compensation, benefits, employee relations and other employee related activities and services. As part of this position, you will be tasked with developing strong relationships across all levels of the organization and act as a trusted and valued business partner who ensures the integration of HR programs into the organization. This position will also engage in program design and complete HR related projects as assigned. This position will be located at our corporate headquarters office in McLean, VA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with managers and employees on appropriate resolution of employee relations issues
- Provide management guidance, as needed (interviewing, hiring, terminations, promotions, coaching, performance review, safety, etc.)
- Research and respond to employee questions
- Conduct employee exit interviews
- Support both employees and managers during the performance management process
- Draft and revise internal HR polices as needed, respond to policy, procedures and program inquires
Employment and On-Boarding
- Prepare and extend offers of employment, gain necessary position and offer approvals, collect and process pre- and post-employment paperwork including references and background checks
- Prepare, update and conduct new employee orientation and on-boarding
- Administer applicant assessments
Staffing and Recruitment
- Assist with Company’s recruitment program to include:
- New position justification, budget and approval process
- Direct and monitor creation of job descriptions
- Source, recruit, interview, and select candidates
- Schedule interviews and coordinate travel when needed
- Administer benefit related changes - research and resolve benefits and claims issues, manage internal benefit programs including leaves of absence
- Reconcile and submit monthly benefit bills
- Participate in the annual benefit renewal process
- Lead annual employee open enrollment, vendor set up, data input
- Support 401k plan administration
- Oversee salary administration and guidelines - initiate paperwork for personnel action requests (changes, promotions, adjustments)
- Advise management on employee compensation actions
- Research wage survey requests; determine competitive rates as required for internal and external market comparisons
Legal and Compliance
- Meet legal and government reporting requirements:
- Post required notices, prepare data and submit annual mandated reports as applicable such as AAP, EEO-1, Vets-4212, OSHA300, CMS and other required reporting
- Ensure internal policies and procedures are in compliance, prepare for government compliance audits
- Respond to outside requests for employee information, verifications, references, subpoenas, court orders etc.
- Manage the company’s annual compliance training
- Draft organizational announcements and other employee communications
- Work on various projects and initiatives as needed
- Assist payroll as needed
The Training Manager is responsible for the overall direction and management of the training program for Aireon employees and contractors. The training program includes identifying learner needs, developing training resources, analyzing and selecting external training vendors as needed, and designing an approach for tracking training completion in alignment with organizational competencies.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Training Manager will be primarily involved with: building the training department, designing and managing multiple training curriculums, editing course content, aggregating course material within a Learning Management System (LMS), conducting training to employees, identifying evaluation metrics and assessment tools to evaluate retention of knowledge, scheduling and reviewing certification needs relative to various training programs, generating training compliance reports, and managing/mentoring junior training staff. The Training Manager collaborates regularly with internal and external stakeholders and leadership teams to ensure that regulatory, departmental, and corporate training needs are met.
This individual will also collaborate in the technical activities of Aireon development partners and service providers, including Iridium (the payload procurement manager, payload development and integration technical manager, the Hosted Payload Operations Center (HPOC) developer and operator and the host satellite services provider) and Harris (the payload supplier, the systems engineering contractor, the Aireon Processing and Distribution (APD) system provider and operator) to define training and knowledge assessment activities to validate knowledge and competence on behalf of the service provider. They may also engage with engineers from other Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs) such as NAV CANADA, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and ANSPs overseas in various training activities related to the Aireon system.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build training department to include acquisition of staff and administrative management of department
- Responsible for the overall direction and management of Aireon’s training program
- Manage the training program for Air Traffic Safety Electronics Personnel (ATSEP), including developing and delivering Train-the-Trainer programs for OJT Instructors and Competency Assessors
- Ensure ATSEP training program remains compliant with all European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) requirements; participate in regular continuous oversight audits of the training program performed by EASA regulators
- Ensure Aireon’s partners remain compliant with any training requirements tracked at the Aireon level (e.g., safety training, security training, and ATSEP program training)
- Develop and refine training strategy for employees, customers, and consultants
- Guide the continued implementation of a comprehensive training program at Aireon that aligns to competencies and is tailored to learner needs and expectations
- Provide input into additional education content for customers to share with their internal teams (short videos, more stakeholder-focused content, etc.)
- Review and refine training content for in-person and virtual training programs for customers, as well as internal employees and partners in the use of skills necessary for system engineering, development, implementation, and technical operations
- Provide input into the development of internal curriculum, customer training programs, and content for certifications
- Evaluate training effectiveness through evaluations, tests, and other metrics associated with content retention/application
- Curate training content and materials as systems, applications, methods, and products evolve
- Manage and maintain the Learning Management System (LMS) and the annual training calendar
- Handle administrative duties, including but not limited to managing and responding to customer and employee inquires to training, manage training registrations, and work with supervisors to develop certification plans for new hires
- Provide direction and expert guidance for junior training staff
- Make recommendations to the Director of Operations for training-related budget requirements
- Manage relationships with training service vendors and other Aireon partners, including Training Managers at Harris and Iridium
- Experience with SCORM and/or xAPI, and leading course authoring tools and learning management systems
- Ability to video-record, edit, and publish training sessions using industry-standard multimedia products, such as HD cameras, external microphones, and Adobe Premiere
- Experience leading and designing training programs and courses for internal staff and external partners
- Expert knowledge of adult learning theories and how to apply these theories to various situations to ensure effective learning solutions
- Ability to deliver training programs through a variety of delivery models, from traditional classroom-based learning to virtual classrooms
- Strong initiative with the ability to support multiple projects and activities
- Ability to work as part of a team both internally and externally
- Ability to function in a start-up, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent communicator with strong presentation, written, and verbal skills
- Proactive and positive engagement with management and staff to achieve objectives
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (estimated to be less than 10%)
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident, capable of receiving a secret clearance or FAA SF85P public trust
The Sales Engineer will have a significant role in the deployment, testing, specification and design review of the Aireon space-based Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) air traffic surveillance system. Reporting to the Implementation Engineering Manager, the Sales Engineer will be involved with all phases of the systems engineering life cycle: Requirements, Design, Implementation and Test. Additionally, they will be conducting tests at customer and vendor sites, participating in trade studies, evaluating applications and analyzing data. The Sales Engineer will be encouraged to innovate and ensure that key technical milestones are met.
This individual will also collaborate in the technical and development activities of Aireon development partners, including Iridium (the payload procurement manager, payload development and integration technical manager, the Hosted Payload Operations Center (HPOC) developer and operator and the host satellite services provider), Harris (the payload supplier, the systems engineering contractor, the Aireon Processing and Distribution (APD) system provider and operator). The System Engineer will also develop peer relationships with engineers from other overseas ANSPs in the support of sales activities around the world. This includes the conduct of site surveys, customer technical evaluations, supporting conferences and symposiums, and answering technical question is support of sales activities. The main objective is to ensure after the sale that the Aireon understands the customer requirements and the system meets those requirements and the performance levels.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead technical Sales Activities
- Conduct Site Survey activities at ANSP locations and evaluate ANSP technical capabilities.
- Contribute to updates of the requirements, design, implementation, test and validation of the Aireon system and subsystems
- Participate in the analysis of the performance requirements for the customer ANSPs
- Interaction with Aireon partners and customers such as the FAA and NAV CANADA and other ANSPs on the technical and operational aspects of the Aireon system
- Technical support for the development of business operations systems
- Technical support for demonstrations
- Diagnosis and correction of service anomalies (aka root cause analysis)
- Perform data Analysis and other system performance analysis and simulations
- Technical background in the air traffic management (ATM) communications navigations and surveillance (CNS) technology area
- Strong initiative with the ability to support and present at customer technical meetings
- Detailed understanding of Test processes required for air traffic surveillance and management systems
- Ability to work overseas at ANSP locations independently
- Ability to work in as part of a team both internally and externally
- Ability to function in a start-up, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Proactive communicator with solid written and verbal skills in both English and Spanish
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- US Citizen, or Permanent Resident (Green Card), capable of receiving a FAA SF85P public trust
- Ability to speak to ANSPs in Spanish about product and services
The Safety Assurance Manager will have a significant role in the implementation, operation, and maintenance of Aireon’s Integrated Management System (AIMS). Responsibilities include assisting Director Safety in the implementation of safety management procedures in accordance with the Aireon Integrated Management System, developing and maintaining associated documentation, delivering safety management training materials, and performing oversight of all key integrated management system activities including risk and change management, occurrence reporting, safety analysis etc. – all in accordance with international standards and regulations defined by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), and National Supervisory Authorities (NSA). The position will require coordination with such organizations to meet the objective of certifying that Aireon’s services are safe to use, compliant and fit for purpose.
Additionally, the successful candidate hired for this position will participate in, and perform compliance audits against identified regulations both within Aireon and across our contracted services, encouraging partnerships with international air navigation service providers and other aviation stakeholders to develop collaborative solutions.
The Safety Assurance Manager will oversee the proper disposition of hazards that may be identified in Aireon’s operation via mandatory and voluntary reporting, proactive analysis stemming from proposed system changes, and/or predictive trend analysis of system operational data. This oversight will include tracking hazards and monitoring associated safety risk mitigation plans to ensure the continued safe provision of Aireon’s ADS-B service around the world.
- Assist in the execution of all day-to-day safety management activities, to include software safety assurance and the continuous updating of the Aireon Compliance Matrix.
- Participate in routine hazard analysis and risk assessment activities.
- When delegated by Director Safety, coordinate with safety oversight organizations e.g. EASA, NSAs.
- Deliver safety training to Aireon Team personnel when requested.
- Promote a strong safety culture by example of behavior.
- Conduct system safety analyses in accordance with EURCONTROL Safety Assessment Methodology and equivalent Aireon system safety processes.
- Analyze Occurrence, Incident and problem reports to identify potential safety impact.
- Perform design verification (Preliminary Hazards Analyses, Operational Hazard Analyses, Failure Modes Effects Analysis, Subsystem Hazard Analyses, Software Safety Assurance, and System Safety Assessment) where applicable.
- Provide oversight of design and test methods to assure compliance with applicable codes & standards and to ensure safety.
- Communicate findings of the analyses and design verification in authored reports and presentations.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, with strong analytical skills.
- Goal oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with team members and other aviation stakeholders and experience leading diverse teams with different backgrounds, experience levels, and perspectives.
- Excellent writing, briefing and communication skills and experience communicating with both technical and executive audiences.
- Strong communication skills required.
- Ability to prepare documents using Microsoft Office software: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access; support meetings and conferences as needed; Utilize Confluence/SharePoint to maintain documents/files.
- Ability to interact with senior management.
- Ability to organize and facilitate meetings.
- Proactive communicator with solid written and verbal skills.
Are you a cloud and on-prem Linux Guru? We're looking for you!
The Aireon Engineering team is seeking an engineer to help maintain and monitor the development and integration environments. This role will also be key to the Aireon Engineering team’s selection of hardware and software used within the Aireon system. Reporting to the Software Engineering Manager, the engineer will be responsible for Aireon’s unique engineering environment of mostly Linux boxes, CI servers, and help to plan and design remote Linux appliances.
- Maintain, administer, and monitor the on-prem and cloud-based Linux-based Aireon Engineering assets used for development, integration, and data analysis
- Maintain development environments including continuous integration (CI), build servers, and the development/integration instance of Git
- Identify key functional and operational requirements for computing systems and platforms.
- Drive selection and specification of hardware and cloud instances for new development and upgrades in collaboration with the Aireon Software and Systems Engineering teams
- Collaborate with the Aireon Software and Systems Engineering teams on new hardware selection for future upgrades to the operational Aireon System
- Collaborate with the Aireon Software and Systems Engineering teams on new software and OS selection for future upgrades to the operational Aireon System
- Develop scripts to ease administration and monitoring of assets
- Analyze and troubleshoot errors and logs
- Maintain Anaconda kickstart scripts and automated configuration tools (Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc.)
- Maintain data recording storage devices and facilitate offsite backup
- Contribute to engineering trade studies
- Assist test and development teams with development and integration tasks
- Regularly communicate with engineering team on environment status
- Proactively suggest upgrades